Universidade de Lisboa
Although Lisbon has been home to many university campuses since 1290, today’s University of Lisbon campus was founded in 1911, after the end of the rule of the Portuguese monarchy. The initial configuration was created by unifying three schools already in operation, including the 19th century Polytecnic School, the Faculty of Medicine, and the Faculty of Letters. A new Faculty of Sciences replaced the Polytecnic School and other new schools were added: the Faculty of Law, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Fine Arts, Faculty of Dental Medicine, the Faculty of Psychology and Education Sciences, the Oceanography Institute, the Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering Institute, and the Applied Science and Technology Institute, along with a sports center.
The university is also home to the National Museum of Natural History, which houses the Laboratory Museum and Botanical Garden, the Zoological and Anthropological Museum, and the Mineralogical and Geological Museum.
The overall Faculty of Sciences, which is where the ICTI programs are housed, has over 800 masters students, over 500 doctoral students, and over 400 members of the teaching staff.
The University of Lisbon has an active social calendar with concerts, dance performances, expositions, conferences, movies, and more.
For more information about the university please visit its website at http://www.ul.pt/